Wednesday, October 24, 2012

The Bundt & the frosting

I absolutely love Bundt cake! So I decided to treat myself to one for my birthday.  But I didn't make just any Bundt cake I made a chocolate fudge, from scratch, with buttermilk and melted chocolate that made a melt in your mouth, super moist cake you wouldn't believe!

Although I love Bundt cake, I think that one of the hardest things about it is trying to frost one. Not only is there a hole in the middle but every side is a slope so I also have to make sure the frosting I use will be stiff enough to stay where I place it.

I believe that chocolate cake should be accompanied by cream cheese frosting. But cream cheese frosting can have a thin, runny consistency so I was in a fix with trying to frost my chocolate bundt cake. I was determined to make a more solid cream cheese frosting to pipe (instead of spread) onto my cake.

In the recipe I use it takes:
1 8 oz package of cream cheese
1 lb powdered sugar
1 tsp vanilla

1/4 cup butter

To make it thicker though I added:
1 cup powdered sugar (in addition to the 1 lb)
1/4 cup Crisco

Crisco, unlike butter, holds things together to have a more full and dense consistency.I didn't want to use just Crisco though because I enjoy the flavor that butter brings to the frosting.

With my new frosting I loaded it into a piping bag with a number 10 tip and proceeded to pipe thick single and loop strands onto the Bundt cake.

I was quite pleased with the appealing look of the cake when I was finished. I was even more pleased that I was able to frost a Bundt cake with frosting that didn't run down the sides.




Feel free to tweak the cream cheese frosting recipe and post comments about what worked and didn't work for you. I would love to hear from you!

No comments:

Post a Comment