Friday, June 14, 2013

Frozen Cookie Dough

Baking and eating cookies is one of my favorite things to do. There is nothing better than a fresh from the oven cookie. When I make the time to bake cookies I find that my recipe makes more dough than I intended. I don't like to make all of the dough because my husband and I can't eat them fast enough before they go stale. Sometimes I'll bake all the cookies and freeze half the batch. But even a precooked thawed cookie isn't as good as a fresh one from the oven.
Maybe some of you have also been in this predicament. Well I found a solution to my problem with an idea given to me by my friend Kenzie Gray.

Kenzie was a personal assistant to a lady who had Kenzie essentially be the mom. She would cook dinner, do the grocery shopping and even some finances. Because Kenzie didn't work on the weekends the lady still wanted fresh baked cookies to have on hand. So Kenzie would freeze cookie dough balls and when this family wanted cookies they'd take out the desired amount and bake fresh cookies.

I though this was such a clever idea I had to try it and share it with you. So here is how to have delicious fresh from the oven cookies at your disposal.


Here is what do to:
First - Make your favorite cookie dough. I like chocolate chip. Once you have your dough separate it into individual balls with a cookie scoop. I have a small scoop which yields about 6 dozen cookies.
Second - Place all the balls on a cookie tray. Make sure the tray can fit into your freezer. You can pack the cookie sheet full because the cookies are not going to expand. I also lined my cookie tray with wax paper so they didn't stick.
Third - place your tray of cookie dough balls in the freezer and leave there for a good hour to harden.
Once they're frozen transfer the balls into a freezer bag and place the bag back in the freezer to use at a later time.


When you want some home made cookies take out the amount of balls you want and let them thaw on a cookie sheet, bake and enjoy some fresh warm cookies!

*Baking Tip: Because the dough is in a ball you want it to unthaw a little if not all the way so it will bake evenly. You can also try baking your cookies at a lower temperature. For example, mine bake at 375 so I would bake my partially thawed cookies at 350. *


You could also freeze your dough in a long cylinder shape and cut slices to desired size for cookies, but I find this way more convenient. Also having the dough already in individual balls makes for a fun easy treat. ;-)

Let me know how this idea works out for you or if you've already heard/though up this idea on your own.

1 comment:

  1. We do that, too! It makes great Christmas gifts! We just put them in a container (the ones that are disposable) and tie on a cute ribbon with baking instructions. Glad it works for you!

    ReplyDelete