Monday, November 7, 2016

DIY Fabric Ice Pack

My mom worked at a daycare for a while and they always kept bean bags or rice bags in the freezer to give to the kids when they got hurt.

I started this with my little guy from day one so he would get used to having me treat his cuts, bumps and scrapes.


I used to have rice bag ice packs where I placed the rice directing into the fabric and sewed it in. But when my little guy gets scrapes or hits his mouth he can bleed, and then my fabric ice pack is covered in blood and un-washable because it's full of rice.


 Also this old ice pack could be put in unsavory places such as stinky feet and then be used the next day on a chin injury. Kind of grossing me out, just saying.

Here is my New and Improved ice pack!

This pattern allows for your rice to be separate and safe in a plastic zip bag (I chose snack size). The outside fabric part is removable and washable for those nasty falls that result in bloody knees, elbows, lips, etc.

He absolutely loves Batman right now so I made some new ice packs with some Batman fabric. This is a sewing project but I'll try and give you some non-sewing tips as well.


First you'll want to make your pattern. I used a piece of construction paper that I cut to measure 6 1/2 inches by 7 1/2 inches. (If you want more seam allowance bump it up to 7x8 inches)
Pin this pattern to your fabric and cut it out.


Next you'll want to hem the short ends. If you don't have a sewing machine, you can get some pinking sheers and cut the short ends to help with fraying.



Get your ruler or measuring tape and mark the long ends with a pin at 2 inches and 5 inches on both sides.



 Fold your fabric on the pins, right sides together.


Put pins on top to hold the fold in place. You can also use an iron in this case to make the fold stay.


Fold both sides over so they're overlapping, and pin in place.


Sew these sides. Then flip your ice pack right side out. If you don't want to sew use your pinking sheers on the long sides and then hot glue the sides together. (I haven't tried the hot glue so I'm not sure how well it holds up under extreme cold.)




Measure a little over 2/3 cup of rice. Put the rice in a snack sized plastic zip bag. Get out as much air as you can.



 You could also use a sandwich sized zip bag and just fold over the excess bag.



Place the plastic bag inside your fabric ice pack and fold over the sides.




Place in the freezer for a soft, not too cold, cure to your little ones bumps and scrapes!



4 comments:

  1. Pretty good post. I just stumbled upon your blog and wanted to say that I have really enjoyed reading your blog posts. Any way I'll be subscribing to your feed and I hope you post again soon. Big thanks for the useful info. soft ice pack

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so glad you found this helpful. Feel free to browse my other articles. 🙂

      Delete
  2. This is very educational content and written well for a change. It's nice to see that some people still understand how to write a quality post.! pack ice

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you very much! I got my college degree in journalism and take pride in clear concise writing. 🙂

      Delete